Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Bonneville Part 2

The entryway at the Bonneville Hot Spring and Resort isn't as swanky as some of the ritzier hotels I have been to, but the lobby/lounge area is at the top of the list.  Huge chairs, a cobble fireplace in the middle of the lounge, with glass sides so you can see through to the other half of lobby, and book shelves filled with books lining the outside of the lobby.  The lobby also opened up into a two-story space, so the room feels very large when you walk in from the front desk area, which is much smaller.

I didn't bother checking in at the front desk, and plopped down in one of the large, black leather chairs, which seemed to be nearly a love-seat.  I set my laptop bag down next to me and pulled out my laptop, hoping to find the hotel's wireless network, but thinking about writing if I couldn't.  The network popped up immediately and I did a little web surfing before settling in on a fun little side-scrolling game called Super Meat Boy.

I was situated so I could see the front desk, in case they had any questions about why a man would come in and sit down in their lobby, also so Sarah could see me when she arrived.  A few blondes passed by the entryway and none were Sarah, so I went back to my game.  About ten minutes later a very striking blonde catches my attention, wearing a tight grey shirt that complements her tight torso.  She walks up to me and kisses me.  Sarah is a catch.

We inquire at the front desk if we can check in, even though we're an hour early.  Seeing how it is a Sunday afternoon and the place is empty, we think we might have a chance, but apparently the resort was full last night, so the cleaning crew is still getting our room prepared, and we should be able to check in in an hour.  We made our way to the bar and dining area, finding the dining room prices to be a little steep, but the bar having a decent lunch menu.  I grabbed Sunday's Seattle Times on my way out of town this morning, so I brought it out while we waited for food and we quickly found the games section.  It took us a while, but we eventually finished the 6-star sudoku together during lunch, and most of a crossword puzzle in the hour we spent eating some very good Focaccia bread with cheese, mushrooms, tomatos and greens.

Checking in went quickly and we checked out our room briefly.  Having spent the last hour in a dimly lit interior bar struggling over a difficult sudoku and crossword puzzle, we were itching to get outside and active.  We decided to head out for a quick jog, but as we were leaving the hotel, we realized that neither of us grabbed a room key.  Five minutes after finishing up checking in at the front desk, we sheepishly returned, admitting that we locked ourselves out already.  The staff didn't roll their eyes, which was impressive given our display.  It reminds me of the time I bought a motorcycle, not knowing how to ride it, and within seconds of touching it, it had fallen over and the foot peg cracked the oil gauge, spilling oil all over the side entryway to the dealership.  I could see the sales people pointing at me and laughing.

No comments: