Monday, July 23, 2012

Bonneville Hot Springs Resort


I parked in the east parking lot, a lot mostly void of cars on this cloudy Sunday afternoon.  We had decided to book a Sunday evening at the resort two nights earlier, because Sarah and my schedules are flexible enough that neither of us had anything pressing on Monday.  Bonneville is located about 45 minutes East of Portland, which is conveniently located between Seattle and Corvallis.  She picked out the spot, and claimed she hadn't gotten me anything for my birthday last month.  I could have sworn she did, but she doesn't mind using my poor memory as an excuse to splurge for both of us—I like this about her.

I call her when I arrive, and she is still about a half hour behind me in getting to the resort.  The drive from Seattle took about 3.5 hours, and I am ready to take a nap, but more interested in getting out of the cramped car seat.  I grab my backpack with my laptop in it and lock the car doors behind me.  Not many other people around the resort this afternoon, so I decide to take a look around the grounds.  I walk counter-clockwise around the building, which is three stories high and shaped like a big U.  Along the back side of the resort is a little stream, and I stumble upon two outdoor bath tubs placed side by side, with a trickle of water from pvc pipes filling the tubs to the brim.  It reminds me of the bath tubs in the ending scene of “Maverick”.  There is a sign resting near the tubs that reads “Not for Public Use.”  I wonder if the tubs are usable by guests at the resort or not.

Walking along the west wing of the resort, I find an open door leading to the pool and hot tub area.  I take a quick look and then continue my scouting.  There is a white pickup truck, parked by itself in the middle of the west parking lot.  Under the truck is a large tabby cat.  It brushes up against the underneath of the front bumper, and then another car enters the parking lot and the cat hunkers down near the tire.  It watches the car pull into a spot about 30ft away, and stands up from its crouch.  I get closer and the cat notices me watching it.  The tabby walks into the grass away from me, heading towards taller grass and what looks to be a few houses just off the resort property.  I slowly follow the cat, making a few chirps for attention, but not getting any positive response.

Along the south side of the resort is a stone wall about 8ft high, with water cascading over the top.  The wall is probably 100ft in length, which makes for an interesting rectangular waterfall.  I imagine a huge hot spring in the interior of the “U” formed by the building, with the stone waterfall connecting the tips of the “U”.  I see trees on the other side, so no big hot spring for me.  The road just to the south of the waterfall separates the resort from its mini-golf course, which looks fun, but without too many obstacles.  I finish the loop of the resort, but not before getting a whiff of propane gas from the south east corner of the building.

No comments: